

**Executive Committee Meeting**  
**Thursday, March 4, 2010**  
**CSU 238**  
*Approved Minutes*

In Attendance: FA President Don Larsson, FA Vice President Jim Grabowska, Roger Severns, Chris Corley, Candice Black, Dick Liebendorfer, Dan Toma, Mark McCullough, Roland Nord, Steve Gilbert, Andy Johnson, Jackie Lewis, Mary Bliesmer, Mary Visser, Jean Haar, Ron Nickerson, Becky Schwartzkopf, Barbara Carson (recorder)

Meeting called to order at 3:04

**1. Minutes of Feb. 11, 2010** – *Grabowska/Nickerson move to approve minutes. Motion passed.*

**2. Additional items?** None

**3. Responses to 2/11 Meet & Confer: Seniority Rosters, BESIs, Budget Matrix, Retrenchment** –

Larsson: What has been the immediate reactions to the cuts?

Schwartzkopf: I heard a rumor that Aviation will still exist.

Larsson: I don't know. There has been a lot of community pressure but I haven't heard anything different. Everything is in flux with the BESI offers. We recommended holding off on identifying names for retrenchment until all information is in. We just met with the Provost and he would like to postpone doing this until April 16. Other things may transpire over the summer. Even after retrenchment, nothing is over until things are over. Maybe Aviation will survive.

Black: Please explain why we (English) are back to a unified roster.

Larsson: Many that have been split have been rejoined but not all. Some have rejoined because of department's complaints such as in CSET. In other cases, the administration is trying to avoid a fight. Music still has a split roster but the problematic category of gen ed went away. All of English were rejoined except for TESL.

Liebendorfer: Why were those kept separate?

Grabowska: Primarily to avoid a fight.

Larsson: Unlike other programs in English where there are curricular crossovers, TESL is separate from other programs.

Grabowska: Rosters are tied to programs, not to the departments.

Severns: Have you had a chance to talk to the Provost to see if things may be reversed.

Larsson: He hasn't been specific but he repeated even today that if money comes back in one way or another, they will go back to the matrix and do things in reverse.

Severns: That makes sense but I'm concerned about political pressure. Politics shouldn't be the cause for the first recovery.

Grabowska: I don't think the Provost would disagree.

Larsson: If there is outside pressure to keep a department, it doesn't fit into anything in the criteria.

Corley: It seems that there would be another list about which of these positions are likely to go, the least likely to return. I encourage them to do this.

Nickerson: And the reverse,

Grabowska: They will be reluctant to do this. The deans are resistant as well.

Liebendorfer: Will issues of outside funding for a program make a difference?

Bliesmer: The BESI letters in nursing, there are 3 BESIs, said that the positions are banked for future consideration. We could ask them to define that wording. It's probably in other deans' letters as well. We could ask for clarification.

Carson: Have there been any grievances initiated?

Larsson: Not yet because temporary problems have been worked out. One department made a very professional presentation for keeping a fixed term member. There are other things. The timeline is unclear. You don't want to go too soon but if you wait too long, the administration claims you waited too long.

Visser: So it seems that what Dr. Olson wants is a delegation of people begging for things.

Larsson: No, he is being responsive to programs coming forth to give professional presentations, laying out their cases. No promises have been made but he is paying attention to what is said. He cautions people that reinstating one program means cuts will be made elsewhere.

Visser: I am concerned that the "squeaky wheel" gets the attention. If that is what we have to do, it is what we should do?

Larsson: Programs advocate for themselves.

Visser: If that is what we have to do, he can expect a parade of this.

Larsson: It depends on how departments do this. Some just want to be heard and some have questions about how they are going to survive. Some are concerned about issues of basic fairness.

Visser: Seems like the "squeaky wheel" is getting something each time.

Larsson: I would disagree. There hasn't been much change. Even now there are changes to the rosters but in terms of specific money, not much has changed.

Grabowska: The day after the proposed FTE cuts came out there was a line of students with individual letters addressed to the Provost. One by one they presented their letters to the Provost. He listened but I don't think he is making a change, in my opinion. Administration is trying to be prudent listening to everybody but I don't think there is any attempt to make any changes, what so ever. They know if they take from one, then they have to take another elsewhere. That would be a mess.

Larsson: Where you may see changes is depending upon the number of BESI's. There may be positions saved. They might be allocated to another program.

Johnson: In College of Ed, everyone was moved into a department but some people are working for the Dean. Teaching faculty positions were lost but none working for the Dean were lost.

Larsson: That would have to be looked at when and if the cuts hit administration. The contract says every faculty member must be in a department. There are a few areas like SRC or Counseling Center but in your case, it may be largely reassigned time for the benefit of the dean or college. They are still on roster in a department.

Johnson: Teaching programs took a hit but none of the dean's people did. They have someone who works as an assistant dean, a coordinator of education, who is not in administration. The Dean gets an assistant and we lose a faculty position.

Carson: Don, you have mentioned that a BESI can be used to fund one and a third to two junior faculty members. Does the administration agree with this? Have they said this to you?

Larsson: Warren is saying this is more of a one on one position. I would expect to see more of that happening in this round where it is all replacements. In a Free Press article Olson said that it would be about one and a third.

Corley: I think there are some faculty are concerned about saving positions through BESIs. That puts a lot of pressure on a senior colleague who has dedicated his or her life to the university. The idea of BESIs puts pressure on junior and senior faculty members that is beyond them. I think that can create much stress in a department.

Grabowska: And in the individuals.

Larsson: That's a reality but we can't guilt trip people because they don't want to take a BESI. You have to do what is right for you. They talk about taking one for the team but there are many who are not ready to retire, financially or emotionally.

Johnson: As an organization can we made a statement on this?

Larsson: It's hard to do.

Grabowska: I think we can. We have talked to Olson about purging language about hope and despair on either side but to talk about processes and procedures. We could ask to get rid of "saved positions" and just talk about second round of BESIs. Administration is aware of these problems such as survivor guilt.

Larsson: There is a process in the works about who will help to coordinate work of those continuing on with the outplacement counseling service. This is a problem for many of us who are trying to carry on in

our own work and we are still working with colleagues who may know they are going to be gone in the future. We will hear more about this later.

Severns: I think survivor's guilt will be a greater problem than most of want to think about. I also think we need to talk about changes in the curriculum for next year. Curriculum committee already has a full load and many curriculum changes will come in the future. We need to start thinking about additional support.

Larsson: Some programs are already beginning to make changes.

Nickerson: We have already done some of that this year. It came late but we've done at least one in regards to program suspension.

Larsson: Arts and Humanities have a directive from our Dean to think creatively about changes.

Nickerson: We did move TESL from Modern Language quickly.

Carson: Curriculum committee may need extra duty days for all of this work

Severns: And in the fall they may need to do that as well as some tech support.

Grabowska: Jessica Schomberg is stepping down. And are others leaving?

Substantial number of people may be leaving UCAP. These are places where junior faculty get placed and the learning curve is quite steep. In the face of what is happening, we might want to consider offering some type of workshop to deal with this. We may have many timelines and pressures heading for significant problems

Nickerson: Jessica is the only person who will be leaving us. Rhonda Dass (SBS) is joining. Mary Rolfe has agreed to do one more year. The problem is the issues with number of credit hours changing. We did the easy 120's this year.

Larsson: I don't know how to work people's schedules, if it could extend into the summer.

Nickerson: Other place we will need help, and maybe some training, is the college curriculum committees. They go through the materials first and if they could do a better job of screening before cases got to UCAP, it would solve a lot of our problems.

Carson: This brings me to another point. We need to spread the word among administration that our workloads have increased. We have fewer faculty, more students, and less help to do things.

Larsson: This is a problem state-wide. We are always looking for members on MnSCU's committees or the IFO's.

Nickerson: A lot of the extra work is hidden. I've taken an extra class but I'm not the only person being asked to teach a new prep. We have to do those things but they get lost in the system. It's extra work. Those things we have to deal with.

Corley: Also, what about from the students' perspectives? Junior and seniors can't get writing intensive classes. There is a huge pressure to teach gold experiential and w-classes. Every student needs two w's and a gold at the same time we lose faculty. Curriculum requirements put pressure on colleges and dept and on gen ed.

Nickerson: Any argument for low enrollment classes we will stay away from. Departments were penalized for this.

Corley: But the curriculum committee has instituted small class requirements. These will come to a head. We will have to waive the requirement. If we aren't going to offer w's how can expect students to take them?

Larsson: Different committees, such as ucap, gen ed, grad, need to consider implications of where these cuts may lead. We can present to the next meet and confer. Other things for meet and confer: get cost out for besi's, and question of extra duty days.

Dan: I have heard from several faculty at CSET that there is a lot of little things faculty now have to do because of staff cuts last year. For example, we are having to tag our own furniture. Faculty now have to do many extra tasks, such as dealing with equipment. This relates to the faculty workload. There needs to be coordination.

Larsson: There probably will be more cuts in staff which will not help any.

**4. Officers' Reports: a. President** – Larsson: Donna Brauer has volunteered to serve as campus negotiator

*Grabowska/Schwartzkopf move to appoint Brauer as campus negotiator.*

Visser: I think she has to communicate with us and keep us informed on what is going on

Larsson: It's a tight rope. The last round went very fast. But yes, we need good communication.

Grabowska: Mary's point is well taken. Donna's workstation is the metro area, right? At 7700 France?

Bliesmer: No, that isn't exactly correct.

Larsson: Let's vote.

*Motion passed.*

**IFOSA Negotiations Update** – Larsson: Negotiations with IFO staff are done and the contract was approved by the IFO board. There is a respectable increase of 1% in the second year.

Visser: But we didn't get an increase.

Larsson: It was part of our discussion. It was a negotiated contract. We came up with a solution that seemed fair to all.

**IFO State Presidential Elections** – Larsson: I appear to be running unopposed. I start campaigning next week. There will be a couple of times when Jim may be in charge but I will be here for my classes and meet and confers

Severns: Any official call to fill sandbags in Moorehead?

Larsson: Not that I've heard. Flooding may be as bad as last year.

**CIP codes.** Larsson: As we are dealing with the 120 credit crunch, Dan Cronin-Mills had concerns about how fast these were proceeding.

Nickerson: Kimberly and I have talked about MnSCU's having all titles in the cip codes which seems inappropriate. The problem is that it isn't a simple task. The cip codes may have 2 that are relevant to a single department. UCAP is looking at this concern about one size fits all problems and this mandate is on top of the 120. Some programs are named because of licensing boards. We've asked department chairs to respond to a two page draft guidelines. Apparently, MnSCU has an interest in moving forward quickly.

Larsson: I believe this is coming from the feds. There is a national movement trying to get commonality nationwide about what a program is. The categories are messy.

Nickerson: MnSCU wants a response by March 27.

Grabowska: Internally we were asked to respond by March 15.

Larsson: There is pending legislation before higher ed committee co-sponsored from St. Cloud senator and Kathy Sharon on transfer curriculum within MnSCU. Some aren't too controversial but the first one is alignment of curriculum which contains potential evil problems. I have requested a meeting with Sheran.

Nickerson: The bill is only a couple of paragraphs long but it may be rider language on appropriation bills. The idea is that institutions don't decide what is curriculum is. It is taking away the institution's ability to make decision. We have been fighting this for years.

Larsson: It ducks the problem of transfer. It ought to be about learning outcomes not credits.

Nickerson: Individual campuses should make these decisions. It puts a lot of work on faculty to find the comparison.

Larsson: On Monday, Rod Henry met with Linda Behr and Robert Zemsky, who had a piece in Newsweek about shortening college curriculum to 3 years. That would move away from the smorgasbord of curriculum electives and more defined curriculum. Nobody on IFO exec wants to go into it as yet.

**b. Vice President/Grievance Officer** - Grabowska; We dismissed one grievance after getting an MOA about university scholars. We have one other where we will find out if we have to meet over the itv and grad multiplier. We expect a MOA for this one as well.

**c. Treasurer** – Visser: We have paid \$600 for the Burton dinner. We have received our second quarter allotment and we have approximately \$1900. We are saving from food expenditures. I think we have a responsibility to be responsible with what we have.

Grabowska: Have we lost members to fair share?

Larsson: No, it's gone the different way. We now have a higher percentage than St. Cloud.

Schwartzkopf: We will have less potential in the future.

Larsson: We need to make sure adjuncts are paying their dues. Some of that money will go away for several years. IFO will have to deal with this.

## **5. IFO/MnSCU Openings for State IFO Consideration**

**a. Students First Initiative Work groups-** Larsson: At the last state meet and confer, we presented a list of items that are needed to be in place before the program starts. A week ago St. Cloud Students urged MnSCU to scale back on this program because of budgetary concerns. Our campus students came out with a similar statement, although I haven't seen it yet.

## **7. Faculty Association New Appointments – Spring 2010**

### **a. SBS – UCAP Replacement Spring 2010 & 1 year remaining.**

*Grabowska/ Severns, motion to appoint Rhonda Dass to UCAP. Motion passed.*

### **b. Search Committee for Assistant Director for Orientation and Transition Program**

*Black/Grabowska, motion to appoint Gina Wenger to Search Committee. Motion passed.*

## **9. Discussion Items/ Action Items –**

**a 14<sup>th</sup> Annual Dan & Ronnie Burton Dinner -** Larsson: We have already purchased a table for the Burton dinner. Other people will be there as well as volunteers. Russ is coming down and other local politicians. Thank you for volunteering to attend.

### **b. Budget Expense items:** Visser: The biggest event is the ice cream social.

Larsson: The social worked out relatively well with an extreme cutback of the picnic we used to offer. People seemed to enjoy it. I suggest we look over the items and ask Donna to update them. I'm concerned about costs going into the fall. The new faculty buffet worked better; a breakfast buffet got us better attendance. Most people at the general meeting accepted that there were no punch and cookies.

Schwartzkopf: Do we have a cost for the ice cream social?

Visser: About \$800-\$1,000. The picnic was about \$3-4,000. I love food but it gets very expensive. I'll send this to Don.

Severns: As state treasurer, I agree with Mary. An important part of what we do is bring people together in a collegial manner.

Visser: We've done a better job making our food count. Normally we don't spend any money during the summer and we will receive another payment but the payments aren't as large.

Bleismer: Perhaps we should make reservations for the Heritage room for next year's social. We can do that by e-mail.

Larsson: Something else that occurs to me is where we might want to apply budget dollars. MnSCU is obligated to offer counseling services to retrenched faculty. But there are limits. They aren't obligated to provide these services to fixed terms. There might be things we want to apply in that direction to sweeten a deal either this spring or next fall.

Grabowska: Today the Provost committed to writing letters of recommendation to faculty who may be leaving in the course of the year. A person in my department is already looking. Let people know this that he would be willing to do this.

**c. Administrator Evaluation for AY 2010 -** Larsson: Administrator evaluation is coming up soon. This usually goes up in April. We have a handful of deans excluding interims and one who is retiring. We talked about conducting them on line. We can use Survey Monkey. The evaluation forms use Likert scales on job functions for each administrators. And there's room for comments as well. Should we try to go with an electronic version if anonymity can be guaranteed?

Lewis: We could we do electronic and then give people the right to use paper as well.

Visser: Is Donna capable of doing this? Do we have support people?

Larsson: The questions are fairly simple. It's more a question of getting it on line.

Severns: As you know we have been discussing at the state level the use of electronic ballots. Survey Monkey is simpler than other programs. I suggest we try it. I suspect at the state level doing electronic ballots is going to be cheaper by a considerable margin.

Larsson: There are a lot of paper expenses.

Schwartzkopf: This might be a good year, there will be fewer.

Larsson: Do I take it as consensus to use paper as a back up?

Visser: They should be printed on demand as needed.

Lewis: Steve Bohnenblust could help Donna.

Larsson: Spring elections preliminary ballot is out but there may be some changes. You all received advice about possible succession scenarios. Any questions?

Liebendorfer: This will come up for discussion at the time, correct?

Larsson: Yes.

**f. Resolutions Procedures for Delegate Assembly** - Larsson: We have a date to meet and review resolutions; tomorrow at 10. Delegate assembly this year is going to be a very important one. There is distinct possibility of drop in membership, new governor, new chancellor, and a new contract. There are many important issues.

**g. FA Constitution & Bylaws** – There is a name change, Connie Howard recommends to make local Constitutions consistent throughout the State. Rather than by laws, IFO uses the phrase “operating procedures”. We can just change that here.

*Severns/ Grabowska move to change FA name from “bylaws” to “operating procedures”. Motion passed.*

**h. Filling FA vacant positions** –The way we've done it in the past is that people send in their names, they are distributed electronically, it comes to executive committee and then, do we really give attention to other candidates? Any thoughts about ways to do this?

Grabowska: The procedure is to place names into nomination. After this then we vote. Not vote first.

Larsson: Take a group of nominations, people could speak to particular nominees or we could hand out ballots or ask for a show of hands.

McCullough: Is there any value to having nominees give a statement with signatures to support them or would this just make it harder?

Larsson: It might make it too hard.

Nickerson: I agree that we tend to take one nominee at a time and vote up or down. That's an unintentional statement on that individual. If we follow Jim's suggestions, members can make as many nominations as they want so we have a slate. That would be better.

Schwartzkopf: Our current system favors people who are currently serving or those who have done before. It's harder for newer people to do this.

Corley: I would like to see a process where new people are emphasized.

Carson: After people have submitted their names we could suggest they speak to their unit reps to have some one advocate for them.

Nord: Getting people involved is important. The more, the better. It's hard to make a decision to balance out committees and having a bigger picture. Maybe having a recommended slate.

Larsson: This is tied to the nature of the committees. Where there are certain things that need to be done certain ways. What I am hearing is that we do something that would allow more reflection and choice. Maybe by next meeting we can bring forward a new procedure for next fall.

**i. Draft Structure for Honors Program.** Corley: All of you got the e-mail. I am asking for approval to create an Honors Council that would function, not as a submeet but as a committee with representatives from each college to create a governance structure for the honors program. We would like a council of director, one faculty from each college, to serve 3 year staggered terms, and 2 open seats for those teaching

in honors courses. Also we want 2 reps from administration and 2 students from the program. They would meet once a month. I would like to have approval. We have had a development committee for 3 years. The curriculum was approved by UCAP recently and academic affairs still needs to sign off. We have about 25 students now and 116 applications for 25 spots next year.

Severns: Do you think this should be a sub meet and confer? Why or why not?

Corley: It could eventually but in curricular terms, any proposals would go through curriculum committee. Could be considered in the future but it would require Constitutional changes.

Nickerson: The membership is a bit different from a submeet. We need to make sure organizationally that this is a subset of UCAP because it has some curricular responsibilities.

Liebendorfer: For some years gen ed reported to UCAP, before gen ed became its own submeet.

Nickerson: That's our model. We already have 2 undergraduate curricular committees and 1 grad one.

Severns: Is UCAP comfortable with the things suggested?

Nickerson: Yes, we've been working with them.

Visser: We also have the undergraduate research ad hoc committee. How many students are in the honors program?

Corley: Between 25-40.

Visser: I think we are putting the cart before the horse. We already have existing curricular committees to deal with curriculum. I'm in favor the committee as you proposed.

Larsson: We have a number of committees that are important but don't fit neatly into the submeet categories. This could be like strategic priority task force with more limited existence. They make recommendations to appropriate submeets for action. And I think Mary's point about the URC and LTR, we have groups that don't have power of submeets but that inform and feed into existing submeet structures. We might want more clarity in the Constitution some time. For now we can handle as an ad hoc.

*Grabowska/Severns move to approve request for Honors Program Council.*

McClullough: Do faculty conduct program evaluations?

Corley: The program would like to make sure courses are meeting goals of the program and faculty would assess the effectiveness of the course. There is no formal oversight. A faculty member can request to teach an honors course. There would be expectations about assessing the classes towards the objectives of the program

Schwartzkopf: We need to clarify that statement.

Nickerson: Assessment instead of Evaluation

Larsson: Let's vote.

*Motion passed*

**j. Draft Guidelines for Extended Learning – Larsson** – Extended learning is attempting reform. They want to return the academic elements to the department (along with some funding) and have extended learning concentrate on making money in other ways. They are under a mandate to get 7700 France to break even by the next year and start bringing money in after that.

(Reads Chart)

They are trying to get clarity on who funds what. They are trying to give some structure, whether we agree with it or not. (Continues reading).

Remember some students were surprised by that added fee, especially the education majors.

Comments?

Nord: In regards to Packaged courses, extended campus has attempt to put a limit on the number. We looked at a contract with the Deans and AVP now putting a limit on what dean would suggest. I don't know what the status is. The other problem, 2a, evaluated on case by case basis. The situation is that they fear that too many faculty live in the twin cities and want to teach at 7700 France. They want programs but they don't want faculty to teach those courses. They want to hire adjuncts to do this.

Severns: That would seem to me to be a violation of the contract. It is very clear that regular faculty have the first opportunity to teach as part of load and then as an overload. They are saying we want to use adjunct as an overload.

Haar: Who gets to keep these funds?

Larsson: They are suggesting it would be a fifty-fifty split. They claim it's administrative costs. You hear this nationally, to cover cost of registration and administrative costs.

Haar: We do hybrid courses and definitely starting to establish a program there. If we want to offer a program, we want a faculty committed to that. If they want 7700 France to be sustainable and of quality, we should expand our programs.

Nickerson: They don't want us to teach in load but they will hire adjuncts and charge students more to do that. Is this what they are doing?

Nord: There is no negotiation on the differential, it all goes to extended learning. But that is the trend. We raised the contract issue, Olson was there.

Liebendorfer: They want complete programs taught by adjuncts?

Nickerson: Accreditation would have trouble with that.

(Larsson continues reading)

Larsson: They have recognized that students are taken away from Mankato campus classes.

Carson: If it is part of our campus, it should operate as such.

Nickerson: Bob Hoffman didn't follow UCAP rules. He tried to propose a business degree program solely based on credit for work. We made it clear that students on this campus should have access to those courses. They target new students but our campus's students need to have access. That program won't work this way because each student has to have 3 faculty members as a committee. We need to be careful in how this is coming together. We raised the same issues.

Larsson: Can we have two or three people draft a response to this? We've got meet and confer on Thursday after spring break. We need to work quickly on this. We could do this by e-mail and bring to meet and confer.

Nord: It needs a response, but this hasn't gone through submeet yet. We gave them a terrible time on the first draft about a year ago but the submeet hasn't seen this.

Nickerson: We can send it back to meet and confer.

Larsson: We can state there are some positive issues but still address core issue. List these as points, we want.

Haar: Was this mailed to you, Don? How did you get it?

Larsson: I just received this by e-mail today after meeting with Becky and Linda. They were working on another draft. There are some good things here.

Severns: Ron and Rollie and I will work on this.

Haar: I have concerns here.

Who's Linda?

Larsson: Linda Jacoby worked with Stuart before. She is under Bob Hoffman.

Visser: I echo Jean's concerns. We should just send it back to the submeet.

Johnson: I agree. We shouldn't even look at it. We tell them to follow procedures.

Haar: If this is what is occurring, perhaps we should think about 700 France and decide what are our faculty responses are. We could start a faculty responses; not reacting to this.

Larsson: We can feed our individual comments to Rolland

Severns: Somebody needs to watch these guys. We need to watch them over the summer, remember what they did last year.

Nickerson: My experience has been the same things. He tries to implement programs without ever going through the curricular committees. In the end there was a better proposal.

Carson: Perhaps we should ask Hoffman how he plans to staff 7700 France in light of the layoffs, put the responsibility on him to explain things.

Nord: They have collected \$460,000 this year from the online tuition differential. The proposal is for 50% of that to go towards developing other courses and floating the other back to programs according to some formulas. This is soft money. They need to turn 100% of tuition differential to programs that are online. We've been very adamant that this has to go back to departments to go into regular probationary positions. They don't trust the deans to get it back to the departments. We are considering that extended learning has nothing to do with online programs. Just put it back into academic affairs. Programs in education tech com, would be happy, extended learning does nothing for us what so ever. That's not how students find us.



Marilyn Tappe: They were going to spend money on course development. Who is this money going to? If I develop a course, it goes to my department.

Nord: We don't get an answer from them.

Larsson: We have high quality programs that have been developed in the departments. These are pioneers that did it out of hide. But now they need and want to put more on hide. Need for development may be a kernel of truth but where is the analysis?

Lewis: What concerns me is that that they came to us without going through Rolland.

Larsson: I told them I was interested.

Lewis: This also happened with on-line fees.

Larsson: The consensus is that we refer this back to the sub-meet and confer?

Haar: I encourage us to start drafting a document about this issue so we have a platform.

Larsson: We have a structure to respond to. They have started to sort out where the funding goes to.

Haar: How can we do this? Meet and Confer?

Nickerson: I agree, we need to do this.

Marilyn: We have had to create our set of procedures within the department. Perhaps our whole faculty need to do this.

Lewis: Will you share these with us?

Marilyn: I'll send them to Don for distribution.

**k. VSA Learning Outcomes** - Lewis: The student learning outcomes were distributed in December and again in for January retreat. We request that all committees give us feedback. These student learning outcomes are directly related to the assessment instrument.

Larsson: This is something that ultimately feeds into MnSCU indicators. Quality of student learning, VSA.

Meeting adjourned 5:05